RECAP | Eddies fall to Puerto Rico FC in Kissimmee

Two goals inside the first 16 minutes of the match for Puerto Rico FC condemned FC Edmonton to defeat at Austin Tindall Park.
Jamie Umbach (@JamieUmbach) | Oct 25, 2017

KISSIMMEE, FL. – Two goals inside the first 16 minutes of the match for Puerto Rico FC condemned FC Edmonton to defeat at Austin Tindall Park on Wednesday, October 25 in Kissimmee, Florida. The match was rescheduled and moved to central Florida after the arrival of Hurricane Maria in early September meant the island club would play the remainder of their schedule on the U.S. mainland.


Forward Hector Ramos doubled the hosts’ advantage in the 16th minute off his second effort on a breakaway, six minutes after Jordi Quintilla first opened scoring on a good outside-the-box shot past goalkeeper Nathan Ingham, who was back between the pipes for the Eddies.

“To gift them two goals in the first 15 minutes, you’re behind the 8-ball early,” FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller said post-match. “We weren’t at the races in the first-half, and we had some chances in the second half but couldn’t capitalize. It’s unfortunately been the story of our season.”

The Eddies battled to get a foothold in the first ten minutes but found themselves down by a goal early. Midfielder Jordi Quintilla charged towards goal from the left of midfield and let fly a strike from just outside the Eddies’ box that scraped the inside of the post and found the back of the net for the early 1-0 lead.

FC Edmonton came close to finding the equalizer on 13 minutes after Fisk released Fordyce on goal, but the Northern Ireland striker’s shot was hit low and into goalkeeper Austin Pack.

Just as the Eddies began to push forward, Puerto Rico FC doubled their lead. A giveaway in the midfield handed the ball to Michael Ramos, who slipped his through-ball to Hector Ramos on the breakaway. The forward struck the left post of Ingham on his first attempt, but on the rebound he made no mistake putting the ball into the top corner in the 16th minute to double their lead.

Ingham then had to be sharp to keep the lead at two when the Keswick, Ont. product stretched out to deny Puerto Rico’s free-kick from just outside the box in the 24th minute.

The Eddies would go into half-time down 2-0 at the break.

Six minutes into the second half, Emery Welshman struck the post for Puerto Rico FC before Ingham had to deny the forward with a great save on his turn-around shot.

Winger Ben Fisk looked to provide the spark for FC Edmonton in the 65th minute with a good run to the top of the box, but he pulled his shot over the bar. Ten minutes later, second-half substitute Jake Keegan almost put the Eddies ahead if it wasn’t for Pack making the in-close save off the defensive turnover in the Puerto Rico box.

Time would run out for the Eddies with the final whistle blowing on a 2-0 defeat.

FC Edmonton now wrap up their 2017 campaign in Florida when the club faces Miami FC at R. Silva Stadium this Saturday, October 28.


Proud PARTNERS of FC Edmonton